Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from September, 2009

New SharePoint Config DB on pre-existing server

Today I had the pleasure of having to deal with a SharePoint test environment whose Config DB had a corruption. Being a test environment, and knowing that it was quite old and crufty as far as Test environments go, I decided the best way to deal with it was to kill the Config DB and create a new one, re-attach the content dbs and go from there.

A couple of points about this situation:
- the SharePoint environment is a single server environment (with SQL 2000 Standard running)
- I didn't want to set up an entirely new SharePoint server, simply use the current one keeping all the other stuff already running on it
- When re-creating the Config DB, I renamed it to a new naming standard

So I went about disconnecting the server from the farm by using the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. This is a relatively straight-forward, wizard based task.

I re-ran the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, this time creating a new farm with the desired C…